Elham Valley Walkers
are a group of volunteers sharing an enthusiasm for the great outdoors as well as a strong commitment to our local community in Kent. Our activities include arranging regular local walks, creating leaflets and walk information and organising the annual Elham Valley Walking Festival. All of these efforts are self-financing. We strive to promote our area as an attractive destination for walkers.
In 2013 Elham was the first village in the North Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty to gain ‘Walkers are Welcome’ status, thereby joining a nationwide community-based network of local groups. Launched in 2007 to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’, the Walkers are Welcome network has expanded rapidly and there are now over 110 locations across the UK which benefit from affiliation with this innovative community-led scheme.
Walkers are Welcome aims are to help towns and villages to:
- be attractive for walkers with excellent information on local walks
- ensure that footpaths and facilities for walkers are maintained, improved and well signposted
- contribute to local tourism plans and regeneration strategies
- promote the health benefits of walking and increase participation
- encourage the use of public transport